Thursday, July 17, 2008

Down the memory lane

Continuing with the nostalgic trip...

If you are my age(yeah, 25 it is!) or somewhere near it, you would have definitely done the following things and you wish you could revisit 'the era'!

1. You remember the lyrics of 'tamma tamma loge' and 'ye kaali kaali aankhen' no matter how cheesy you think they sound now.

2.Lalita ji was your fave model.

3.You remember 'Tara' came on Tuesday, 'Antakshari' on Friday and the image of 'Junglee toofan tyre puncture' still haunts your memory. And how can I miss Small Wonder and I dream of Jeanie

4.You waited for your NRI relatives desperately just to get the heavenly taste of Kit Kat.

5.'Oonch Neech' and 'Chupan Chupai' were your favorite games.

6.You were always a little scared to call at the Pager centre to send a message to your dad. You know, since talking to strangers was such a tough job.

7.You almost everyday came back from your school with your lips red from the 'imli' or the orange bar.

8.Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander was maybe one of your first movie you saw in the theatre. And oh, Pooja Bedi's dress made you go 'hawww'

9.You always ordered Tomato soup when you went to a hotel. Yes, hotel, not restaurant.

10.You have black and white studio pics of you and your family from your childhood.

11.Your mom's pic in bell bottoms and big giant shades is her favorite and most stylish.

12.All your birthdays had all your neighbors and had chole bhature as the main dish.

13.Whenever your dad rented a VCR, everyone in the colony came and created a theatre like scene in your drawing room.

14.Most of your childhood pics were clicked on the same day since your dad had to rent a camera for it.

15.You were crazy about your Barbies, Ludo, Snakes and Ladders, Business...

16.You always had to wear a new lacy frock on your birthday.

17.Whenever you see a 'Pinki' or a 'Chacha Chowdhary' at a Wheeler store, you wonder whats new in it.

18.The news you remember involves Harshad Mehta, Ayodhya, Bombay Blasts, Iran/Iraq war

19.You also remember the news anchor for the deaf who came on Doordarshan.

20.You remember your first flight trip where your ears blasted from the roaring noise.

There are so many other things that were way cuter and interesting than what we have today. I'm sure after a few years I'll be posting a blog on mobile phones, our first blog, internet, the works and how we get nostalgic everytime we hear about them :)

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/17/2008

    I so agree with you. And kit kats and chole bhature I totally identify with. Those were the days of frilly frocks and hotels. :))

    I am sure today's children are making memories of their own. The ones they are allowed to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7/17/2008

    Ooops! You have been Tagged!

    ReplyDelete
  3. #3: You have a good memory. I really don't remember else except Chithaar came on Wednesdays!

    #5: And dark room too!

    #6: Oh yes, the pagers were such superfluous, funny gadgets.

    #10: The only b/w pic of me as a kid in a studio has me looking all skinny with horrible oily hair. I was down with fever and my parents decided to distract me by taking me for a photo session. Can you imagine!!!

    #11: And when I wear my big sunglasses, I think my children are going to look at my pics and thinks exactly what we thought about our mom in that attire.

    #12: And gulab jamun?

    ReplyDelete
  4. sigh.. that really is a nostalgic trip down memory lane.. God.. cant even imagine those days when the whole locality just had a single Tv and as u rightly said - the camera, the 'hotel' tomato soup.. double sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was very interesting...nice thoughts...impressive introspect.. Blog rolling U :) ...do visit my blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. @det-res..yeah i know...they will comment about the days when cars that moved on roads..hehe..if uve seen love story 2050 ull know what im talking abt.

    @gaziabonts...ill soon take it up :)

    @ D..firstly sorry :)
    #3 i kind of dont rem chitrahaar..maybe becoz u r a few years elder to me!!!i rem early cable days..soo..
    #5: dark room???ye kaun sa??!
    #6: yeah..but it was still cool to have one!
    #10..so sometimes u do look bad in picss...what will that be like :)
    #11..maybe..but then seeing our moms in bell bottoms is way different.we will be modern aunties and mommies...but our moms wear only salwar kurtas and sarees...so its very different.
    #12: gulab jamun, dahi badhe,etc etcc

    @roshan: and the family that had the tv was the richest!!!

    @rajech..thanks :)

    @dharma: glad u enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't agree with all of them! :D
    but yes, there are a lotta points i must say YES to! :D

    -I

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ye padh kar i feel old..ye kis khushi mein beeten "hue din hai pyaare wo din" yaad kiye jaa rahe hain..hmmm jab zindagi ka naya padaaw aata hain to peeche mud kar dekhne ko jee karta hain...bell bottoms nd glares mein to meri ma ki bhi pics hain..and how could you forget attari and Mario??? aur wo rikshe par ladd kar jaana1!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe..baap re...isnt the idea copied:P good one tho:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. heylo...ab hum bhi jagrit ho gaye hain..so drop by...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Though I am not 25:) may be double of that, but most of these things remind me of my childhood and hello.....I am puzzled how come a girl of 25 reminisces about bell bottoms, because as far as I can remember they were a rage in 70,s.
    and yes chole bhatoore was a staple diet in all bDay parties, my son would order it even if we are dining out in Taj:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm..made me nostalgic...

    18,19,20....ditto for me also..

    ReplyDelete
  13. 'Down Memory Lane'- this blog of yours will take everyone down memory lane, like me! I am 56 now and our childhood days go to radio days. No TV. Binaca Geeth Maala, Vividhbharathi's programmes, national programme of music (my dad's favourite - so we were compelled to hear!) etc.

    As you said, I'll take your advice (steal your idea!) and write them in my blog. I'll tell myself, I am new to blogging and don't have an idea to write blogs and so allowed to steal ideas, right? Thank you, Nisha!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @impressionist: hmmmmmmm!!

    @my space: mario ko to kabhi nahi bhool sakti...i sooo badly miss it.I know u guys played loads of it recently

    @dream runner: haan the idea is copied but the memories are not!

    @renu: thats what I said na, mom's pic in bell bottoms..my mom is from the seventies :)

    @ap: nice!!

    @sandhya: u're sweet! I'll drop by n read your memories for sure

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fabulous post! and although I wish I was 25(!!),I still share some of your nostalgia.
    #1 yes!!God, how could I!
    #3 Tara, Antakshari - yes
    Small Wonder - yes, oh yes!! I was addicted!
    #7 yes!! the orange bars were awesome! we dont get tht anymore, do we??

    #9 - hotel!! yes,ofcourse! most people still call restaurants hotel. Atleast in Kolkata they do!! :)
    #10,11 - oh yes!! and dad with an Enfield bullet and sideburns!! :) they are very proud of those pics!! :)
    #13 yes! we could rent it for 3 days at a stretch. I remember me and my sister planning in advance,the movies we`ll rent!! :)
    #15 - carom as well!
    #16 - lacy frocks and a hair band! and the worst part - my sis and I were made to wear exact similar dresses!! god!
    #19 - yes, the news for the deaf would come every sunday afternoon before a regional movie. Remember?? :)

    fabulous post! brought back so many childhood memories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey, when you say 'small wonder', I go back again - to 'Wonder Years', 'Doogie Howser, M.D.'Remington Steel'(Pierce Brosnan, who was in this serial,was a boy, then!), 'Moon Lighting' (Bruce Willis had hair in his head in this serial!)....And I too remember the 'News for the deaf' before the regional movie. We were watching the regional movies too, in those days. Nothing else was there to watch! We don't do that now!

    Nisha, you opened a pandora's box ...you have kindled everybody's memories! Good!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)