Sunday, June 26, 2011

Luxury v/s things money can't buy


My husband changed his job recently and owing to a mammoth HRA, we moved into a bigger, better house. The apartment is complete bliss with huge rooms, kitchen, and the works. (My friends saw the pictures and called it a fancy hotel lookalike but whatever!)

My last apartment was very small and the furniture was not done very tastefully (it was a fully-furnished apartment). But that didn’t seem to matter. I had very loving neighbours, some 40 places to eat downstairs, a grocery store in the building and a supermarket across the street. The place was transformed into a party on weekends with the street full with tourists (read: Saudi’s who don’t get to do ‘stuff’ in their own country!)

So here I am, wondering if life is better now or its was happier then? The last house was cozy and comfortable and I had no issues. Except when the guests pondered why we chose to live in it! You know, until you don’t live in that house you won’t understand the importance of a good neighbourhood and a lively street.

I didn’t choose this house for the guests either. I love it. But I don’t know the neighbours and there is no place to eat downstairs. Although my old house is only half a mile from here, but in the desert heat and Bahrain roads which are not meant for pedestrians, it’s impossible to meet my friends every day.

When life gives you luxury, you miss the smaller things in the world. When luxury doesn’t come easy, you wish for the moon! Will we ever be happy?

P.S. I’m showing off a part of the house because that’s the only thing that’s making me happy these days!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/27/2011

    That is a sexy house! You should see my shithole. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel.I am in a similar story, but upside down as yours...I shifted from a luxurious apartment to a not so good one, to be closer to friends...and now I complain everyday about something or the other...Earlier I used to complain about the distance, now it is about other things!

    And they say, happiness is just a state of mind!:-)

    Anyways,hope your new house brings lots of happy times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @the lover: when u'll get married and earn loads.. ull get this one too :))

    @Akansha: oh that makes me feel better. i can always cover the distance to friends by taxi!!! other things are hard to find!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. for what its worth, u're not alone. Its a tough balance and many women struggle presently with it.. the joy of a more luxurious home vs the loneliness..

    I agree with Akanksha, in the end, happiness is a state of mind. besides blogging, any other interests u can think of - painting, a pet, music/musical instrument ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a very well done apartment. Life is a series of tradeoffs don't you think?

    And no, inherently we as humans are never happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Roshan.. ye kya pooch liya!!! u make it sound soooo .. i dont even have a word for it!!
    I'm happy 99% of the time doing what I'm doing! this is a phase.. which too shall pass :D

    @Det-res: I love the apartment too. getting use to it slowly :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shashank7/27/2011

    Reminds me of a saying I have heard long back and which thankfully still remains in my mind

    When it is hot, (s)he wants is cold, when it is cold, (s)he wants it hot - the (wo)man always wants what is not!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)