Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The sound of Music


I’m a split personality – I mean for two years I lived in a neighbourhood where bikers zoomed in and out even at 3 in the morning. I have never loved living anywhere as much as I loved that dwelling. At the same time, I watch television on mute because I can’t bear the noise.  Same goes for music – sometimes I just want to go on a drive, stare into the horizon and get lost in my thoughts without the songs. When I’m cooking, I can’t move a spatula without singing. Does that happen to you - mood swings when it comes to sounds?

As a child, I use to know my dad was coming because he used to blow a horn 200meters away at a turn. Really, no matter what I was doing I use to know. When my neighbours who live one floor below me fight, I can hear every word through the floor. The tub in my house makes a weird sound every now and then, I almost immediately know it. Are you this sensitive to sounds as well?

When I want to sleep, the tick-tock drives me crazy! I don’t have a clock in my house for the same reason. I take out the battery of the wall clock if I’m sleeping in someone else’s house! The spin cycle of the washing machine, the cacophony of a drilling machine, the bang of a hammer – all annoy me to no end.

Techno music disturbs me – the ‘songs’ with no lyrics type. I can’t listen to Yanni or Robert Miles, I need good lyrics to support the tune. Otherwise, I lose interest. Over the years a few songs have touched my heart and I can listen to them on repeat. Some songs have special significance, some have memories attached. You do too, don’t you?

I was in class 1 when we sung Doe a Deer on stage. It’s one of my favourite songs and I jump if I hear it from a distance. We changed the lyrics of Purani Jeans when we were in class 9 and sung it on Teachers day – the memories are so fresh; the song blows my mind away. Whenever I’m down, I need to listen to Hero by Mariah Carrey or Ye Hosla from the movie Dor – they are so inspiring. Ik Onkar and the Gayatri Matra  bring peace that is beyond words.  

Pehla Nasha, Gazab ka hai Din and Nothing at All are my all-time romantic favourites. I can’t listen to them without smiling or humming along. It must have been love has been the only song that made me cry in front of a person. He was an acquaintance and got worried. I had no clue that I had tears in my eyes – the song was so apt for that phase.Every Breath you take,  With or without you, Right here waiting for you – ah, there are so many lovely songs.

And then there are these songs that I keep singing out of nowhere. Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gam – yes, for God knows what reason I sing this song a lot. Same goes for Ruth ke Hamse kabhi from Jo Jeeta wohi Sikander – I keep humming it without knowing why. Mum use to play old songs on the radio – every now and then I find myself singing a Hindi song from the black and white era and leave the Boy amused! 

There are a couple of songs that embarrass me as well - the two with my name in it and how people tend to stress on the name - Jaane Jaan, O meri Jaane Jaa and Pehla pehla Pyaar hai. There are songs that revive memories including the soundtrack from the first favourite sitcom FRIENDS, the first favourite ghazal - Hosh Waalon ko Khabar, two of the first English tracks I heard - Wake me up before you go go and Mamma Mia and how can I forget Mere Rang mein from Maine Pyaar Kiya that introduced me to love. 

Don't think I'm the types who believes only old songs are good. I'm a big fan of I'm sexy and I know it , Rolling in the Deep and Sexy Bitch (it's my ringtone, yes it is!!). Ok let it be, they don't fit in here and sound awesome only after a couple of shots!

Of all the music, songs, sounds, chirps, honks, noise… you know what sound I like best? The sound of laughter. The giggle of a baby, the chuckle of a parent, and the uncontrollable mirth between friends – these are the sounds that I can’t live without. Neither should you.


8 comments:

  1. Wow you have the ears of a snake. I mean I dont even notice the tick tock of a clock..I mean as I read this, I made a mental note to go home to check whether mine is making any sound like that :D However I cannot sleep with a snoring person. Not even a second. My father snores loud enough for the entire neighborhood to hear. It had made it difficult for me to sleep even in the next room. My husband snores rarely... when he does I pat him lightly and he turns and stops. That is much more bearable. I am not a fan of loud music or anything loud. Even if they are showing me on TV I want the volume to be cut down to a minimum where we can hear, but the neighbors cant. May be there are a lot of people like me. Or may be not, because we live in a generation where loud music and noise spells entertainment. Or that is the definition of having fun. I cannot stand that at all. But you are one of a kind. Your description that the ticking of a clock annoys you was surprising.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! We all are a little weird, right?
      And I'm all for loud music when I'm in a mood to dance. Even while cooking or gyming I love it. I just feel like spacing out at times; that's when I hate any type of sound. That's when I ask the Boy to shut up as well :D

      Delete
  2. even i need to sing the entire day :D and i cannot sleep if there is a little sound in and around my room. and even i don't like songs without lyrics (the kind of music young generation prefer).

    that's an awesome list of songs! some of them are my favorite too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I share similarities with an intellectual? I'm glad!! ;)

      Delete
  3. Same pinch for the cooking and singing, dislike for techno music n botheration by watch ka tick tock but watching tv on mute a bit weird ;). You know even I recognise my day's car horn and his sneeze. Me n sister also play guessing game n recognise all our family members by the noise their slippers make while taking the stairs to our room. N so many of the songs u listed our m fav too :).
    Btw I loved the last para the most, reminds me of a post on sounds I love lying in my drafts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the chappal bit... even I recognise footsteps of all my family members! Arre tv on mute is the art of looking at the tv without actuallyknowing whats happening!! I'm sure you can do it too :)

      Delete
  4. Like you I am very sensitive to voices around me. What kills me is the sound of honking. I notice the swirling of fans and the tick-tock of the clock very easily.
    I love to hear the sound of breathing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, breathing! Your comment made me picturise so many songs!
      Thankfully, people don't honk in my country of residence. It is actually frowned upon. Otherwise, it would have been at the top of my hate-list.

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)