Monday, January 20, 2014

And The Award Goes To



It is the award season and considering the amount of television we’ve seen in the last few months, I can safely say that I’m a well-equipped judge by now. Here is a snapshot of scripts I heart and a list of series I can’t stand. 

So, after watching like a zillion TV series, I have finally realised I like only the Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham style. Oh no, I’m not high on the saas-bahu saga. You show me Sherlock or House of Cards and I won’t enjoy it. You give me a thriller with a family guy (Breaking Bad); I’d be obsessed with it. Just like that I’m totally in love with Modern Family, Arrested Development, The Big Bang Theory, et al. Yeah; you need to show me some luv-shuv to make me enjoy the drama. Go watch Orange is the New Black if you like what I like – it is mind blowing.

We recently saw a movie called Her. It apparently got a lot of critical acclaim. The story was intriguing and so I downloaded a decent print. If you get through the first half, you’ve wasted 1 hour of your precious life. Really, I don’t understand what kind of nonsensical movies get nominated. I cannot yet talk about 12 Years a Slave for I’ve seen just 40 minutes of the movie so far. The disheartening reality is portrayed in the most depressing way and I can take only that much at a time.  On a similar note, I was totally awed by The Wolf of Wall Street. The movie is, in its own language, fuckingly awesome!

Coming to entertainment closer to home, let’s just say it has been a disappointing 2013. I did not see many movies worth writing about. I liked Lootera and Raanjhana in the initial months, after that, nothing. Even The Lunchbox did not wow me. And, Ladies and Gentleman, we – me and the Boy – are the only two people on planet earth who stood up for the cause and did not go to watch the much hyped Dhoom 3. But the producers had the last laugh, didn’t they? 500-crores, arghhh!!! Please go watch Dedh Ishqiya. This amazing movie just made a measly 10 crore. The humour, the tehzeeb, the script, the act – ah, it was all so beautiful. Please watch it and support good cinema.

Although we did invest in a dabba that takes us closer to Star Plus, Colors and Arnab, I just managed to watch Bigg Boss 7 through it. I was thrilled to see Gauhar Khan win. We watch a bit of Comedy Nights with Kapil. Other than that, that dabba is only used to watch New Zealanders shame India these days. What a dearth of good entertainment as compared to America; I’m disappointed to say the least.

Anyway, I’m awed by the immense pool of talent that exists in the television industry. Good or bad, they seem to be working real hard at what they do. I’d definitely award each one of them for that.

13 comments:

  1. I waaaaaaaaaaaaant to watch the wolf of wall streeet!!!!
    and I have to confess, I did watch Biggboss too :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. you too!! Bigg Boss is my only bad addiction. Otherwise I'm a sober gal! :D

      Delete
  2. yet to see breaking bad, Modern family and your suggestion Orange is the new Black. And yeah, only the so called hyped movies get profits. Too bad though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All three are unmissable. Do watch whenever you get the opportunity.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous1/21/2014

    I am yet to watch 'The wolf of the Wall Street' but I have heard quite good reviews. And btw, Dhoom 3 is total crap and I haven't watched it either. Actually I have never been fascinated by Dhoom franchise so even Aamir Khan couldn't pull me in the theater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pity you didn't mention the debacle called 'American Hustle'. Seriously I don't know what does the jury look for. 'The Wolf Of Wallstreet' was mind-fucking-blowing! I pray Leonardo gets the Oscar atleast this time.

    I've heard 'Dallas Buyers Club' is awesome too. Yet to watch it though.

    You missed Dhoom 3. I ENVY YOU.

    Shall watch Dedh Ishiqiya this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DBC is on my hard drive and will be watching this weekend. I couldn't have mentioned all the movies since I like only a few genres. People would take my case for rebuking everything non lovey-dovey!

      Delete
  5. Sadly the only little bit of TV i get to watch is for Big Bang Theory. And I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its ok, Anita. Like I tell my other mommy friends - I'll give you guys a list when your kids turn 18 and go out to study :)

      Delete
  6. Anonymous1/21/2014

    Spot on Nisha. It's really crazy when you see some of the movies that have been nominated for the awards :) Brilliant "award" post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its worse in India I think. The smaller and much better movies don't even reach the theatres! Its all about marketing and who has more budget for publicity.

      Delete
  7. Wolf of wall street was fucking awesome lol ;) American Hustle looks like black magic ghosts stuff..what it actually is ..God knows..

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)