Thursday, January 30, 2014

No entertainment, No entertainment, No entertainment

Did you watch the 59th Filmfare Awards this year? Well, I happened to be a witness to this ceremony which was like an icing on the cake that was Bollywood 2013.

Now I was a Bollywood fanatic till sometime back; the type who likes to watch first day first show of a movie lest the Vigil Idiot would shame it and the Boy would refuse to take me to the theatre. But slowly I began to realise I was giving too much leverage to our script writers. While some movies were fresh, a majority of them failed to impress me. But I still thought of switching on the TV when the industry was being rewarded  for its talent this year. These so called biggest awards in the country were so glitzy that they could have given the Oscars a run for their money. You want to know how? Read on:

1.A whopping number of mainstream actresses made it to the occasion. There was Deepika Paduoke, Deepika Padukone and Deepika Padukone who were sitting in the front row. Everytime Ranbir Kapoor (the host) made a joke, Deepika(s) was shown rolling on the floor laughing. 

2.Even though there were performances by Katrina Kaif and Madhuri Dixit, they were nowhere to be seen in the audience. Kareena Kapoor,Vidya Balan, Sonakshi Sinha, Alia Bhatt, Anushka Sharma – all were perhaps mourning their lack of nomination this year and so felt the need not to come to the ceremony. If its not important to them, why should it be relevant to us in the first place!? Also, I could hardly place Sonam Kapoor; although she was present somewhere.

3.Salman Khan did an awesome(ful) performance. When he started it seemed someone had pushed him on the stage! Later on he did catch up but by that time I was looking at my tablet for something more interesting.


4.Priyanka Chopra was hosting as well. Her script was so exotic that only aliens were seen laughing.

5.Karan Johar presented the Lifetime Achievement Award to Tanuja. Kajol and Tanisha Mukherjee were sitting in the front row. He was so distracted by his best friend that he goofed up atleast five times. I thought it was highly disrespectful not to edit that part. But because he is the Koffee king, no one will say a word. I like the kind of power he has.

6.There was a performance by Katrina Kaif. Never in her life have I found her so 'graceful'. It seems Salman and Katrina had a fight backstage and because of that they managed to showcase such a 'fiery' act!


7.Chennai Express was the Trend-setter of the Year in terms of movie promotion. I agree with this one; I saw the movie despite several warnings. Marketing gimmicks make me sick now. I learnt from my mistakes and completely abandoned the other two Khan flicks.

8.And if all this entertainment was not enough, there was a laughter soundtrack in the background as well. 

There were some (not-so) lack-luster moments too - Dhanush coming and giving the most genuine speech on winning the Best Debutant award and  Deepika calling a fan on the stage when she won the award for Best Actress - two, only two.  I can imagine how much you want to watch these awards now. Search for them on Youtube and have fun. While you are at it, watch the rerun of Rahul Gandhi’s interview. 26th and 27th January 2014 were epic in terms of entertainment; I hope the rest of the year is not so amusing for I still have tremendous faith in the talent of our country.

5 comments:

  1. hahaha I liked this!! The part where salman gets thrown to the stage and by the time he catches up, u r looking into ur tablet...made me spill my tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is 'movie promotion' worthy of an award? They had a lot of money and splurged... and that too 'Chennai Express' of all movies!
    Adding a laughter track in the background is really sad for an awards function..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Shahid's performance. Hosting was very badly done. When SRK and Saif used to do it, it was much more fun! I used to watch the awards ceremony just to listen to the two pulling each other's legs !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was hilarious. Enjoyed reading this!! I missed seeing the awards on the Telly, now looks like I am glad that I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is more fun than watching the award ceremony. The first season of it - when SRK and Saif did it was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)