Tuesday, April 22, 2014

S is for... Selfies


Selfie is probably the most widely used word in 2014. Ever since Ellen Degeneres posted this Oscar selfie, suddenly a silly thing became a rage. Ofcourse we all have been guilty of committing this not-so-gruesome crime sometime or the other; but this epidemic, it is disturbing.

The alarm bells started ringing when I witnessed an incident in Dhaka. We were siting at Nandos. There was a group of 4 teenagers: two girls and two boys. The girls were busy putting on make-up and clicking selfies in different poses. They would darken the kajal and try again. Then the lipstick would look light and that would need a touch-up. This went on for more than 15-20 minutes while the boys stared at the girls. Maybe the girls were taking some sort of revenge from the guys for their obsession with Candy Crush! But if it was my companion paying more attention to himself/herself in a restaurant, it would have ended in a major brawl.

Then there are types of selfies that make my blood boil – The top of the list being the selfie with a pout. I mean, whom are you trying to lure? The neighbour has been leching anyway! Then there are I-am-sleeping selfies which you take on the bed pretending to be a sleeping beauty. You assume we all are morons and know zilch about this pose? Ha! You wish! We are all experts!

The selfie that focuses on the double chin is my favourite. This poor, innocent chap doesn’t know how ugly he looks while assuming that he is posting his best picture. The flaps give him away, you know. Thank God our ladies are not into posting naked, pregnant belly selfies because believe me guys, there is a rage for that one on the WWW as well. 

To each his own, you say? No! The self-obsessed selfies spread a distressing message and we need to find a way out. All said and done, who will look at these pictures 5 years down the line? I love the limited number of pictures from my childhood. The thought of organizing my dropbox scares me already. If I had to filter minute-by-minute selfies in my account – ah, God help me!

Not just this, we’re passing this disease to animals as well. Must say, they definitely look better than humans pouting.

I'm a better poser than you.

If you have to do it, do it with attitude

There is no one sweeter than me in the whole wide world!

Ok. I agree. Selfies have done some good to the world. 

Image from here: 1, 2, 3

31 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha.. I love the animal snaps! And psst, I hear you. I despise the word and the concept 'selfie'. I would much rather walk up to a stranger and ask him/her to click a photograph of me, from a reasonable distance. And to be honest, those close-up self-portraits always catch the darned wrong angle! Nisha, you crack me up and make me ponder, every single time ;)

    ~Shailaja's latest A~Z post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moreover, the background hardly comes in a selfie! Thankyou, Shailaja. Your compliment made me smile this morning :)

      Delete
  2. it dedinitely irritates me to c all those selfies on my fb news feed where ppl try to catch attention! I mean, come on, there is much to life than jst clicking pics all the time!

    http://swathishenoy.blogspot.in/2014/04/s-for-surprise.html?m=1
    a-z participant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pictures were used to capture the moment. Going by that, people these days make memories every minute! :p

      Delete
  3. Selfie!!! I also had a thing for them but just like everything else, that also died! Now it seems like whatever!
    The animals ones turn out to be cute as opposed to the human ones... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so proud of you! It's an addiction that doesn't leave easily.

      Delete
  4. Animal selfies are a lot better I tell you! Selfies are good. As long as we use it in moderation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like I said... all of us have been guilty of committing this not-so-gruesome crime. So selfies are not totally awful... excess of anything is.

      Delete
  5. I love posing infront of a camera, not a selfie though like when others click :)
    nice post !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us love being clicked. But it is no fun clicking our own picture!

      Delete
  6. Ha ha ha ha... the animal selfies.. i am so pathetic in selfies :P :D

    ~S(t)ri
    Participant|AtoZ Challenge 2014
    Smile, it makes (y)our day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you!!! I am too pathetic at taking the same!

      Delete
  7. This Selfie bug has bitten a LOT of people around me. And some of them are so good at capturing themselves in various moods.And a loo in a hotel or a restaurant is the best haunt for most girls! Loved the animal selfies :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya.. the loo ones are so awful! I even saw one selfie on the pot seat. Eww!!

      Delete
  8. Hahaha, so the pout selfies bother you too?

    Have you heard of the new term 'belfie'. It is a selfie of the butt. Yes, butt! And blame the Kardashians for this trend. Selfie is just the start, there is a lot more to come later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I saw Kimi posing .. it was totally tasteless I thought. Let's see what comes next!

      Delete
  9. hehe well the world is riding high on selfies these days! Just a phase I guess

    S for Safe-Random Thoughts Naba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope! Donno what is going to come next!

      Delete
  10. I know some folks who have caught this selfie bug. Every time I see their newest selfies on my FB feed, I just want to say to them - enough already! But the polite me simply likes :) It is annoying, to say the least! Cute animal selfies there! These I wouldn't mind :)

    Beauty Interprets, Expresses, Manifests the Eternal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely like selfies. I don't know... just the thought behind them irks me.

      Delete
  11. All my daughter's friends are into taking selfies. It is all the rage! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. with the hand on their waist. It's really amusing!

      Delete
  12. The selfie is most contagious. Nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear. Even if you are a hater like me you do end up taking one selfie once in a while. Just to keep up maybe!

      Delete
  13. I thrive on selfies...My recent facebook profile pictures are all selfies. I think I should now get a life.
    This post was a mix of fun and cuteness! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh red, you are cute! It is ok.. I know you are not super obsessed with yourself. So don't worry. You are doing just fine!!

      Delete
  14. Just found your blog on the A to Z Challenge and LOVE it. Although I hate the word "selfie" ugh, it all around epitomizes our current self-obsessed society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I can't stand the obsession either.

      Delete
  15. hahaha I have seen girls walking and smiling anf taking selfies :P it's so funny to watch their antics :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. From what I hear - selfies are on the way out. Maybe not? Anyway, I agree that it is overrated and enough already

    Carol @ Battered Hope

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous8/06/2014

    I seriously don't understand the fuss about the selfies. We used to take them in earlier times too when no one was around to hold the camera but ofcourse it was not so much of an obsession then. And not even the terminology.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)