Wednesday, August 27, 2014

When I saw the 'Star Pariwar Awards' of the West

I think it was 14 years ago that I started watching American television, or rather what defined it for me - FRIENDS. Before that I only saw what my aunt use to watch - The Bold and The Beautiful - from the corner of my eye because it was an 'adult' show!! I still remember Brooke and Taylor and Ridge and their complicated lives!

Ofcourse Small Wonder, Bewitched, I dream of Jeanie, Wonder Years, Doogie Howser M.D. were a part of my childhood. But it was FRIENDS that really got me into it. School, college and friends gave us little time to watch the other prime-time shows. Also, my mum was like a detective keeping an eye on my every move on the remote control. She did not like me watching angrezi channels at all!

So I finished FRIENDS in 2005 when the Boy burnt 20 CDs for me and my friends from his IIT campus. They had free Internet and a huge database of every kind. I don't know if torrent existed back then, and so his gift was like the best thing in the world. I still have all those CDs and I refuse to download a better version.

When I got married, I had a lot of free time because the Boy had a traveling job and I was stuck in hotels. It was then I started watching How I met your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Two and Half Men, Rules of Engagement, Desperate Housewives, Sex and the city, et al. After that there was no looking back. We watched one television series after the other and (un)fortunately never went back to the Zee TV, Star Plus or Colors of India.

To think of it, there is such a stark difference between them and us. Yesterday, while watching the Emmy awards, I was wondering how elegant their stars looked in those gowns. I felt emotional when Aaron Paul hugged Bryan Cranston because Breaking Bad is indeed the best television series ever. I felt awesome for Modern Family because it makes you laugh and cry at the same time. Jim Parsons and Mathew McConaughey deserve all the adulation they receive because their acting is mind-blowing. But when they have an award ceremony in India, I feel nothing for anyone.

I miss them so much!
What is it that they have that we don't have? I am sure our writers are as brilliant but the market demands only saas-bahu series. Isn't the market changing? I don't know of any friends who watch these sagas. And really, is it actually the depiction of our society?  I mean what if an American comes and watches Ye Rishta Kya Kehlata Hai. Right from the ghoonghat to how men and women are always at home discussing house politics, is downright abysmal. When you watch their television you are blown by their description, their acting, their story building, etc. When you watch our television, you can only tear your hair apart.

Missing them, anyone?
Now I am not someone who likes everything American. I think Bollywood is trying to improve slowly and I support it completely. I even like the fact that some Indian authors are atleast trying to write better stuff. Our culture is unique and it definitely has a lot of potential which can certainly be shown in a better way. These saas-bahu series are definitely not us and we should really stop watching them altogether.

With 24 and Comedy Nights, a little bit has changed. But that's just .01% betterment from the crap that we see on Indian television. I hope one day I can watch Star (not Pariwaar) Awards and think of the day I saw Emmy 2014 and then compare the two in a positive light. I think I am looking at 50 years from now! Or maybe more. But I still have some hope for our country. I also think the Johars and the Chopras of the country should invest in trying new things on television. They have too much money to last generations then why not give our country something to look forward to in the future. I am sure there is talent around here; stop patronizing only Chetan Bhagat and move ahead.

13 comments:

  1. Weren't the emmys just fabulous! i wonder when can india reach that level of sophistication while hosting award shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand what is stopping us. We have the resources, the talent and a new market as well. I hope the biggies are listening!

      Delete
  2. In India, to think beyond the evil mother in law, we need innovative and young people. I think Indian television soaps are scripted by people like Alok Nath only .
    I am often blown by the sheer attention to detail in every line spoken in Big Bang Theory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These serials are supremely boring. Even after you watch one after a month, it is usually at the same place. But if you miss an episode of an American drama, you kind of miss a lot.

      Delete
  3. We used to have good Television in the late 80's and early 90's. Tamas, Yeh Jo hai Zindagi, Mr and Mrs, till the current trend of garish and loud sitcoms took over. It's good in a way. Keeps you miles away from the Television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A case of simpler times maybe!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Purba , once upon a time , we had great shows that tried inculcating in us values that matter for life.

    All of them are SHITTY now..Thanks to Ekta Kapoor. They depict Indian women as real Vampires which isn't so true.

    I never heard any MIL behave like Ekta Kapoor told us :p

    R.I.P Indian Television

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I HATE Ekta Kapoor. She made Indian women look like awful vamps who have nothing better to do than plot evil things. And she still hasn't learned anything. The same nonsense goes on.

      Delete
  5. I have stopped watching Indian awards shows...sorry comedy, ugly vulgar dance episodes and useless characters.
    Television needs to be banned more than the liquor in Kerala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it. Infact we need more liquor to tolerate this shit!!

      Delete
  6. I am yet to see the indian 24 but comedy nights I watch everyday now .. when i come home it is late , so start the recorded episode and go to sleep smiling :)

    Indian television when it was doorsarshan was excellent, so many serials which are unmatched even today, the buniyaad, Tamas to name a few even the small tv movies made then like "yeh woh mazil to nahin" etc etc ... NO one can make those now ..

    the ekta kapoor's and others are only to make money and look at all the crappy stuff they show which household looks like that , as they show on tv.. it is so SAD ..

    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I watch comedy nights. Although sometimes I feel Kapil is not being fair to women and encouraging rowdy behaviour. But then, there is a dearth of good, decent jokes maybe.

      Delete
  7. The emmy's and oscar's are so sophisticated and intimidating, I wonder if we would reach that level of sophistication. Friends is still my favorite followed by Castle and HIMYM. I youtube for Barney's and Wolverine's live performances. It's awesome to see Wolverine sing broadway :D

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)