Sunday, December 21, 2014

Just Being Me



As I lay in my bed thinking what I have done
Told the truth to my love, second to none.
Transparency in everything – that’s how I wanted my marriage to begin.
Then why am I made to believe that I’ve committed a sin?

You loved me with all your heart,
Promised - ‘til death do us part.
I vowed to be faithful, respectful and a loving wife.
You are now, and forever will be, my life.

Then why a fragment from my past shook you like this?
What made you so skeptical that you won’t even kiss?


I've told you about Him before - He and I were young and ruthless,
Crazy in love, absolutely relentless.
I thought love was unity of body and soul.
I thought I was smart, absolutely in control.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t make a mistake,
My love was true, nothing was fake.
We were responsible adults, yet it didn’t work out.
It meant everything to me, yet now, I’m living without.

And then you came, like a prince on a horse,
To begin a lifetime of romance, like a fairy-tale ofcourse.


You decided to wait till we tied the knot.
In our roller-coaster ride, I almost forgot.
I wanted to be truthful, keep every promise,
Shouldn’t THAT be a marriage’s basis?

I believe in God, have love for Him in my heart
Baseless religious beliefs mean nothing to me from the start.
Sex, to me, was a part of love,
A natural consequence created by the Lord above.

I don’t wish to erase it all with a magic wand
But I’m all yours now, I wish you’d understand.


Our beliefs differ, but our values remain the same,
I won’t make excuses ‘coz they all seem lame.
You’ve asked for time, that I’ll give,
I won’t apologise, ‘coz there’s nothing to forgive.

Yes, I had pre-marital sex and it was a big deal.
I was in love; loved how he made me feel.
It wasn’t as if I slept with every other guy,
If that’s what you conclude, then I guess it’s a goodbye.

I’m a loyal, passionate and caring person, that’s how I’m always going to be.
Sex before marriage doesn’t determine my morals, and I won’t EVER let it define me.



This poem is written for a contest on IndiBlogger where bloggers have to give their opinion on pre-marital sex. The entries will be judged by Poonam Uppal who has recently written a book called A Passionate Gospel of True Love : A Mystical True Love Story. You can order your copy here

17 comments:

  1. Anonymous12/21/2014

    Absolutely beautiful poem weaves like magic lyrics and rhythms, Nisha:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS WAS SO GOOD. People who judge a woman solely based on her virginity, need to be given electric shocks. I MEAN IT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! I absolutely agree. Double standards in our country need to die!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12/22/2014

    Very very beautifully written, every word a gospel truth. It was not a mistake to be erased, just loved it. New fan. :) All the best for the contest, you are already a winner from my side...! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a ton, Jatin! I feel extremely happy when I read comments like these, especially when I write a poem :)

      Delete
  4. ye le! gaya first prize :D
    Awesomely written poem yaa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when you say that because I know you mean it! :)
      Thankyou!!

      Delete
  5. I have the emotional sensitivity to poetry of a two year old, but yet the poem resonated with me. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because this read like a story.
      Thankyou for reading!

      Delete
  6. By far the best entry I have read for this contest!!!
    You are winning this :D
    All the Best :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author who is judging this is against pre-marital sex. So I don't know if this will work for her.
      But yess, your comment makes me feel like a winner already :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, like several other bloggers. To each his own!

      Delete
  7. Here I am and I am spellbound! I agree the author is against pre-marital sex, but I'm sure this poem will change her mind!

    And I'm sure you will win this. Again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I wanted you to read this one - such kind words!!!! :)
      Hugs!

      Delete
  8. As you said - I was in love, love is the most important ingredient for physical intimacy. Beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)