Saturday, November 28, 2015

Movie Review - Tamasha



You will read a lot of negative reviews – my facebook feed almost made me regret that we had already booked tickets for Friday evening. They are not all false. Yet, there is a lot in the movie which is likeable and would not disappoint you.

All of us wear masks. All of us are who we are not. All of us do some Tamasha. The movie explores a character whose life is probably a much bigger tamasha and how it affects his entire being. If you see a little bit of yourself in the story, which all of us will, you will love the movie. If you don’t, you might trash it like a lot of people.

I would say you need to get through the first thirty minutes for the movie to actually look good and make sense to you. For me, even the song Matargashti, which is introduced in the first 15 minutes, could not cover the boredom I was feeling. The first sequence in the movie doesn’t make sense, atleast in the beginning, and you tend to worry what is the fate of your next two hours!

But once Corsica ends, which had super-hot Deepika Padukone and even a hotter Ranbir Kapoor and beautiful locations, the real movie starts. You will realise that the movie is deep and meaningful and much more than a love story.

I don’t want to say anything about the story because the way it unfolds is actually interesting. The highlight of the movie is Ranbir’s acting – it is flawless. He made me admire his talent once again and the director, Imtiaz Ali's, ability to extract that talent out of him. The songs fit well into the movie. The pace is fast moving. I especially loved an emotional sequence between Ranbir and Deepika and also a scene between a particular story-teller and Ranbir - it all came out so beautifully.

I’ll give it 3.5 stars just because of the boring and difficult-to-understand first 30 minutes. I loved the movie otherwise.

Happy watching!


9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah....the movie had a point but only the second part made sense......tge first half was intolerable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. God knows what Imtiaz Ali was thinking while making the first half!

      Delete
  3. Planning to watch it coming weekend. If you liked it there is a high chance that I will. I connect to you at some level :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we do connect :)
      But make sure you have enough popcorn to last 40 mins of initial torture!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11/30/2015

    When I first saw the trailer, I had huge expectations, especially because I simply loved Ye Jawaani Hai Deewani, and thought the duo would create the same magic... But I have heard more of negatives for this one than positives... I will wait to watch it on TV :-/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I was actually looking forward to watching this movie!

    Your review is the only positive review I have seen :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the songs and the trailer bored me like anything so i gave it a miss, may be now i will watch it :)

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)