Sunday, November 22, 2015

One from the New Laptop


Once upon a time when we were in school, a new subject was added in Standard VI - it was the very exciting and extremely difficult Computer. Our teacher came and explained ‘What is a computer’ to us. It was followed by history of computer, description of a CPU and then the much awaited practical class which started with LOGO.

We proceeded to BASIC and the C++ by XII standard. Frankly, unless we had an inclination to become a programmer, this all seemed worthless. At home, I was introduced to the world of Internet by a cousin who stayed next door. I didn’t have a desktop then, so I had to sneak into her room and go online.

Internet just meant chat rooms that time. We didn’t have much to study from the Web since its access was in limited homes. Within a year my parents got me a desktop as well and my world expanded virtually. I was 17 then and loved every bit of my new found toy.

I used this desktop till I got married. It was placed in, what we called, the computer room upstairs. My mother, poor thing, checked on me even at 2 in the night. No checks, however, could stop me from doing what I was doing. I was a tad spoilt in this area. And well, if I wasn’t, how would have I found my life partner!

After we got married and I was at a new home, I needed a laptop for writing. So we hired a taxi for a few hours and went to four stores to check various laptops. I still remember that evening because it was so exciting! We wanted to find the best value for money laptop. We eventually bought a Sony Vaio and was extremely satisfied with it.

It has been more than 6 years to that purchase. Our laptop just went blank once which was sorted by formatting. Starting over solves all the problems in these devices, doesn’t it? I use to hit my CPU very hard whenever it troubled me and it always started working fine after a couple of slaps!

Anyway, now the Vaio was getting old – it was a core duo, windows vista and the works. The exterior had started to break as well. So we decided at the beginning of the year that we would purchase a good one soon. Our search had started months back. The sale started a month back and we went from store to store in our own car.

Life has changed. We could now look for the best specifications and the best models. We could even afford an iMac. But since we are against all fads, we wanted to choose what we liked best. Sooo, here I am, typing on my new Lenovo Yoga 3 Z 14. It’s a sleek, fast and extremely sexy device which would see my life change in the course of next 5 years atleast.

That’s how I see my previous laptop as well. It saw me as a new bride. We were inseparable in hotel apartments when the Boy was out on consulting assignments. It saw me blog. It has various documents titled book ideas! It made me win prizes. It helped me discover various countries and make varied itineraries. Frankly, my laptop has seen me laugh, cry, bored and happy - just like a best friend would.

I’ll be giving this to my maid’s son who is 14 with a hope that it helps him in his education and give him the same memories it gave me. Funny how a laptop can have such significance in your life! It definitely had the biggest hand in keeping me sane all through these years.


Dear Lenovo, please be kind like your older step-sibling!

New is Silver, Old is Gold! Just metaphorically though!

10 comments:

  1. Awww, farewell to ur old laptop, and am sure ur maid's son will b grateful for this device. Nice memories, u brought back my LOGO days in school :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes.. that tiny little thing that moved left and right. I still don't know why though!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh... I remember my old laptop fondly... my first one landed directly in my operation theatre in Pune when I was a pg after being delivered all the way from Malaysia (Dell boys). It stayed with me for half a decade without any problem... bright green one, it was :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green!! It had to match your outfit in the OT? :)

      Delete
  4. I still have my first laptop. Bought 7 years ago! A dell inspiron. It came with windows vista. I recently got it upgraded to windows 10 and it works as good as new :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't spend as much time with your laptop as I do!! So dont brag :p

      Delete
  5. My Dell studio lasted a long time before making beep beep noises and then died. I got macbook after that. My parents still use my old desktop. Can't believe it's still alive. How nice of you to give your old one ... loved the new one too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old gadgets were sturdy. The new ones come with a set expiry date. Any which way, we are so pro upgrades now that we would buy a new one every few years.

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)