Friday, March 18, 2016

Movie Review - Kapoor & Sons


3.5/5 Stars

I went to see Kapoor & Sons expecting the same old love triangle. Since I like to watch all romantic Bollywood flicks, I had to go, but with very low expectations.

The film, frankly, surprised me. It had little to do with a love triangle (or a lack of it, go watch!) but more about family dynamics. The movie begins with the reunion of this middle-class family in the beautiful backdrop of Coonoor after five years when the grand-father has a heart attack. Before going further, I want to applaud Rishi Kapoor’s role as the grand-pa. He gives the much needed punch lines that make the audience laugh between intense drama amongst other family members.

The two brothers Siddharth Malhotra (Arjun) and Fawad Khan (Rahul) have had some feud in the past and so their relationship has been rocky. They have been leading separate lives in London and New Jersey, respectively. The parents, Ratna Pathak and Rajat Kapoor, live in the beautiful town of Coonoor and have trouble in their marriage. The love interest, Alia Bhatt (Tia) has a home in the same town and has her own family issues which I don’t want to reveal here.

The movie basically shows the crisis in the lives of each character, their relationship with each other, their problems and how they deal with it. The concept did remind us of Dil Dhadakne Do, but this was an absolutely different plot and set-up. It had interesting twists and turns and surprises that none of us expected. I am glad it was not the same old love triangle that we thought it would be.

The songs were woven well into the movie. Alia is chirpy yet intense, Siddharth is the boy you adore, Fawad's role as the favorite son is played well, but Rishi Kapoor was definitely the show stealer with his amusing role. There was nothing that I thought was larger than life or unbelievable in Kapoor and Sons which is rare in this genre. The story would make you value your family much more than you already do. I guess it is better to have a boring family than one with so much drama! Go watch it after the India – Pakistan match tomorrow. I know you won't, can't miss that!

2 comments:

  1. Tickets are booked :) Keeping fingers crossed for India's win tomm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the movie too! I loved Rishi Kapoor. More than the characters or the story, the value of belonging to a good family, struck a deep cord with me.

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)