Tuesday, March 22, 2016

On a Serious Note

I tell the Boy that I hate flying alone. He should drop me to Lucknow and then come back. He tells me he will do so only when I am 80. I say no, 50 is the cut-off. He wouldn’t budge below 70. I secretly wish that I can still travel alone till I am 80. That’s the dream, it’s very simple – panic immensely for weeks before travel, climb the bus without help and see the family. That’s all I want from life.

I read ‘Kid Me Not’. It’s a book by 60-something women talking about their childfree lives. Sometimes you need reassurance. When you go against societal norms and don’t find anyone around you doing the same, you need to reach out to strangers. I feel better every time I do that.

I read ‘My Sister’s Keeper’. It is a story of a 13-year old girl who was conceived to treat her sister’s leukaemia. I feel for caregivers. It is not easy to live with people who suffer from some sort of illness. We have mood swings that are not normal. Our childhood is not about toys, games and books, it is about doctors and treatments. We grow into wonderful, sensitive human beings, but the craziness prevails. Those who stay by our side, value life much more and are the real heroes. Not us.

I go on Google and type ‘I want to write a book, but have no ideas.’ Even though I find it funny to find answers to this question, it is enlightening to know that most writers are like that. Only a lucky few have divine intervention for ideas, the rest of the world finds inspiration from resources like mine.

I have a mind that wanders into risky territories. I travel time, boundaries and situations in my head all the time. I plan to develop some sanity and put this wandering into good use. Creativity can be a curse in some ways.

I wish a cousin on her birthday. She’s a tad crooked and replies with one-liners. I keep my smallish ego aside and ask her about life in general. She replies in one liners - no questions only strange 3-4 words. I find it hard to keep up. I’ll wish her again next year knowing fully well that this is how she will respond. I don’t have an ego. I’ll message when and if I want to. I’ll love it if she initiates, I would talk without past experiences. Maybe she doesn’t think too fondly of me. Maybe I’ve hurt her in the past. I’ll give her a benefit of the doubt because that is what life is all about – you need to give people benefit of the doubt.

I give up on my present routine. I have given up many times before because of the same reasons I have given up this time. I will rise from the ashes after a few weeks. Knowing myself fully well, I will come back with equal passion and exuberance. Not everyone can do that. It takes a twisted mind and a positive soul. It takes hope and courage. I master the art. In this life of mine, I always call the shots. Always. 

8 comments:

  1. So nice it was to read the post Nisha.. so many instances that happen with so many of us and you've written them here in such a simple and cute way.. Loved the style :)

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read sometimes back in TOI about the tough times faced by caregivers who has someone in the family losing memory. It's terrible what they go through. Guess, hope is the only thing we have when the going gets tough and rough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly believe mental illness is the worst form of illness. Although sometimes the patient doesn't realise he has it, but when they do, it is very hard to keep up. I have seen my Nani with Alzheimer's; it is the hardest for caregivers.

      Delete
  3. I relate to every paragraph but in different ways. but I relate.
    And yes going against society makes u want to look at similar examples, which are hard to find. You find solace in media!or like me....instagram meme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing is hard to find these days! Whatever I go looking for in Google, I find hundreds of search results. Finding is easy, it is harder to satisfy yourself though.

      Delete
  4. I relate to this post a lot, and you have to be such an amazing human being to keep initiating a conversation with a person like that. I mean I get hurt easily and keep grudges and wait for the other person to break the ice-when I do not value the relationship that much. But when the relationship is important to me I forgive endlessly.

    However there are two people, both women, both soul sisters who have betrayed and hurt me so badly that I have been keeping mum for a long time now. Really long time. I know they won't come back. I may not have a mountain of an ego but there are some situations when our forgiveness is taken for granted and sometimes even exploited. In times like these, we make exceptions to our rules and just move on without looking back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how it is like to be betrayed by a best friend so I really don't know how I would react. Having said that, I would do what my heart says. I will talk if I am not at peace. It is not about ego, it is about our own happiness and doing whatever it takes to achieve it. Closure is important, otherwise our whole life is spent in thinking what if.

      Delete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)