Monday, March 28, 2016

Twitter Frenzy

Online world is quite useful sometimes. When you can’t have a house party during a match, you can keep chatting on Whatsapp with groups that share similar interest. And when you can’t go to the stadium, you might as well put your television speakers on high volume and go on Twitter.

Now people who abhor the online world for all the stupid reasons would not agree, but let me tell you, it is a win-win situation – you don’t miss a ball (because anyone who has ever been to a stadium knows it’s only about the adrenalin rush, no match watching there.) and you still know how the world around you is feeling. Since you can’t go to the stadium always (because you aren’t grey-eyed man who probably has a huge inheritance since he misses work so frequently!), you can too go every day.

Since I am a girl (woman) in her 30’s, most of my friends are busy with their kids. They might be watching cricket, but to expect them to chat with me during the match is expecting too much. The Boy’s phone keeps buzzing with incessant chatter from all across the globe. I feel left out and so I go on Twitter. Also, he’s an MCP who smirks when I talk cricket because he thinks women watch cricket just for Kohli and reasons other than bat and ball.

He’s not completely wrong.

*The word Kohli itself sends me to a dreamland.*

So, Twitter. Since the Boy won’t listen to my inane wisdom on cricket, I lash out by sending tweets. I typed a couple yesterday, and guess what, I got 350 Likes and 117 Retweets!

Ignore the comments - some losers just want to get attention.

Basically I was infuriated by how fans treat their stars. On one hand they went gaga over Virat Kohli’s performance, on the other hand they were sending out jokes like ‘Bhadka hua Aashiq’. God knows I have a sense of humour, but when you put someone on a pedestal, you need to really respect the man.

This man gave us moments of unfathomable happiness. Millions were clapping and laughing and feeling ecstatic. There is no entertainment that can match the feeling of high patriotism in a sporting event. Yet there are morons who make jokes on this hero. If he made you feel so good, atleast don’t make him feel bad.

So trolls suck. I wrote a tweet which I am glad was appreciated by many. I think I did a good thing and would appreciate if Kohli thanked me for it. But since he is busy practicing a West Indian roast very soon, I’ll forgive him even if he doesn’t.

However, there is a downside to being so awesome on Twitter - you get new followers. Although the numbers make you feel happy, they really are just numbers. The other disadvantage is that I would be trying to concoct new Tweets during every match and that would just take away my precious time adoring Kohli on the pitch. Anyway, I just got 350 Likes and 117 Retweets – I am a celebrity, I shouldn’t be complaining.

Yes, yes, I know it’s no big deal. But it is to me. It is a ‘Dear Diary’ moment and I won’t let anyone take that away from me.

Here is my handle if you are looking to follow a wise soul. And there is a cross on the top right corner of your screen if you are looking to shut this nonsense down! 

1 comment:

  1. Not sure what happened to my earlier comment.
    Congratulations on the many RTs and likes on that spot on tweet.
    You sure a Twitter celeb, keep rocking!!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)