Friday, September 16, 2016

Movie Review - Pink

5/5 stars.


Pink - the film - is a movie that stays with you even after you leave the theatre. It is a work of art which carries a very important message. It does not preach, it questions your conscience.

Directed by Aniruddha Roy Chowdhury, written by Ritesh Shah, and produced by Rashmi Sharma and Shoojit Sircar starring Amitabh Bachchan, Taapsee Pannu, Kirti Kulhari, Andrea Tariang, Piyush Mishra, and Dhritiman Chatterjee, Pink is movie that should be made compulsory in schools, televised often on the small screen and made mandatory for families.

Yes, it is that film.

Pink starts with a party of three men and three women talking in the background. A politically well-connected man gets thrashed by a woman whom he seduces forcibly. What follows are threats, molestation, allegations. The twist here is that the women don't give up and stand on their two strong feet refusing to bow down before the corrupt system and undignified men. 

Amitabh Bachchan, their neighbour and a retired lawyer, stands by these women. The court room drama that follows is what makes this movie a masterpiece. 

Pink talks about the stereotypes we attach with Indian women that make them 'characterless' - short dresses, late night parties, drinking, hanging out with men, losing their virginity early on. Pink talks about how women 'provoke' innocent men. Pink talks about how the modern Indian woman is a stain to the society and what she should and should not do. And then, Pink talks about consent.

It all boils down to consent. The movie doesn't preach how we should judge this independent woman but how her choices must be respected. Every woman can relate to the second half of the movie, and every man can take away so much from it. 

The screenplay keeps you glued to your seats, the performances spellbind you and make you teary eyed, the story is crisp and to the point. I didn't know many actors from before, but each left a mark. Amitabh Bachchan is the greatest actor ever lived - I don't even have words for his contribution to this film and the message he is trying to convey in the way only he could.

I wish every Indian citizen could watch this. We live in times of a new era which is difficult for some to accept. A film like this could help people realise and understand so much. I seriously salute every individual associated with this movie. 

4 comments:

  1. Watched it last evening with my wife. Although I consider myself quite open-minded, the movid made me question some of my views and opinions.

    All girls should watch Pink...and guys should DEFINITELY watch Pink...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watched it last evening with my wife. Although I consider myself quite open-minded, the movid made me question some of my views and opinions.

    All girls should watch Pink...and guys should DEFINITELY watch Pink...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this movie. The dialogues and the punch lines were mindblowing!

    Every person on the planet should watch this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am dragging my husband to watch this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Your sweetness makes my day. Gentle criticism will be taken in the right spirit too :)